If it’s about time for a roof replacement, you may have heard about “architectural shingles” and wonder what they are. What’s the difference between those and regular asphalt shingles?
Architectural shingles are a premium grade of traditional asphalt shingle roofing material, meaning they’re thicker and have a textured, distinct and unique appearance. You may also know them as laminate or dimensional shingles. They were first manufactured in the 1970s to provide a higher-end product for discerning consumers.
Regular roof shingles (or 3-tab shingles) feature – you guessed it — three tabs or flaps with ¼-inch spaces between each tab. This type of shingle is laid in flat and even rows, offset by the more textured, layered appearance that comes with architectural shingles. Regular asphalt shingles have a lifespan of about 20 years, while architectural shingles have been known to last up to 30 years. In fact, some of the premium grade architectural shingle products may provide up to 40 years of service.
Architectural shingles offer more diversity in patterns and colors, so it’s easier to match them to your home and property. They are also quite weather and wind resistant, more so than standard shingles, and this is due in part to their heavier granule coverings.
Of course, for all those benefits, you will pay more for architectural shingles – about 25 percent more in fact. But if you know you’re getting almost a 50 percent longer lifespan and industry-leading warranty, this may make the switch worth it to you.
Benefits of Architectural Shingles
Here’s why so many home and business owners are choosing architectural shingles:
- They come in a wide variety of colors, textures and patterns
- They can be customized according to your style and preferences
- Their three-dimensional pattern gives them the look of slate, tile or cedar shake at a fraction of the cost
- They have a depth and texture resulting in a high-quality appearance
- You don’t have to worry about maintenance
- Their distinctive look can enhance curb appeal
- They offer character and timeless appeal
- They are high-performing shingles
- They pay for themselves over time
- They are heavier and more durable than 3-tab shingles
- They can withstand winds up to 120 mph
- They give you better fire resistance than traditional composition shingles
- They are easy to cut and fit into hard to reach areas like corners and crevices
- They stay cooler than traditional shingles because they deflect more light
Now that you know all about architectural shingles, it’s time to hire a trusted Methuen roofer to install them!
Contact Hi-Tech Windows & Siding for Architectural Shingles
To get a free quote and book a consultation on architectural shingle installation, call us today at 800-851-0900.