The last few piles of snow have melted and the flowers have started to poke their heads out of the ground, which means Spring has hit New England. As you look around your yard and assess the state of your property, don’t forget to look up! Your roof plays a valuable part in the comfort and safety of your home all Winter long, but it won’t hold up for long if you’re not up to date on your roof maintenance.
Here are a few signs to look for on your roof this Spring that could save you on expensive roof repairs down the road:
- Gutter damage– Heavy snow can lead to sagging or dented gutters. Before the Spring rains start to flow, make sure your gutters are properly maintained and equipped to handle them.
- Missing shingles and flashing- Having your roof inspected by a certified professional is the best way to uncover any glaring issues like missing shingles or flashing. We do not suggest that any homeowner climb up onto their roof to look for damage, no matter how experienced they may be.
- Tree limbs- Tree limbs can do some serious damage to your shingles and roof deck. Make sure you trim trees close to your home to eliminate the possibility of their limbs causing roof damage.
- Leaves and pine needles- We know that debris like leaves and pine needles can clog gutters, but they also maintain moisture which can lead to mildew and mold. Make sure your roof is free of this kind of debris.
- Mold and mildew- If there is visible mold and mildew on your roof it is crucial that you call a professional. Do not try to power wash such build up away, it is dangerous and could lead to even more roof damage.
Roof maintenance is best left to a professional roofer. Call Hi-Tech Windows & Siding toll free at (800) 851-0900 to schedule a comprehensive roof inspection and make sure your roof is ready for Spring!