Raise your hand if the challenging winter we just experienced has left you longing for sunny skies and warm temperatures. We are all a little bit tired of being FROZEN – and I don’t mean that ubiquitous Disney movie! As battered as we have all been by the snow, ice and cold, imagine the toll the winter has taken on your home’s exterior. Few homes in New England escaped without storm damage of some kind. Now that the weather is finally starting to cooperate, make plans this weekend to conduct a “walkaround” inspection of your home to look for damage that may not be obvious at first glance.
We’ve prepared a checklist of things to look for as you make a visual assessment of your property:
- Inspect your siding carefully, as snow and high winds can damage it. Look for pitting, cracks, peeling paint and loose planks, siding panels, or trim.
- Take a close look at the outside of your windows. Use a ladder – carefully! – to view second floor windows. Look for cracks in glass panes, loose caulking, or warping frames. If you have difficulty opening or closing window it may mean that the frame or sash has warped in the cold and damp conditions and may need to be replaced.
- Call a professional roofing company to inspect your roof. Don’t attempt this yourself. First, a roof is a dangerous place, especially if there is debris scattered about. Second, an untrained eye may not see the damage that has been done to components such as flashing, vents and underlayment. Get a professional’s assessment of your roof’s health.
- Look at the outflow end of your gutter system’s downspouts. If mineral grains are gathered there (or in your gutter troughs) they likely have washed off your roof shingles. These mineral grains are an important part of the protection your roof provides, so eroded shingles should be replaced immediately.
- Walk your deck looking for loose planks, railings and missing nails or screws. Better to replace missing pieces now that trying to rush to get it done before the summer’s first cookout!
After the long winter we all deserve a nice spring and summer. That goes for your home, as well. Give your home’s exterior some TLC now so that you’ll be able to enjoy it during the nice weather ahead. Need help making repairs or renovations? Call us toll free at (800) 851-0900. Or visit out website at https://hitechcorp.biz/.