You probably do not give much thought to your roof. It is just “there,” protecting your home and family from the elements – rain, snow, ice, sun, wind. But no roof lasts forever, and the time will come when you need to replace the roof that has served you so well. Here are 5 tips to keep in mind when replacing your roof.
- STYLE. Most New England homes feature a pitched roof, primarily so that snow will slide off. But roofs can be pitched at different angles, some gently sloping and others steeply pitched, which makes working on them more difficult. Still other roofs are flat, or some home feature parts of a roofing system that are flat. Each style presents its own challenges. Luckily, the roofers of Hi Tech Windows & Siding have experience with all styles of roof.
- MATERIALS. Asphalt shingles continue to be the most popular roofing material in the U.S., thanks to their affordability, adaptability and ability to insulate when snow piles up on the roof. But there are other options, including natural wood shakes or shingles, fiberglass shingles, slate, and metal roofing panels. We’d be happy to discuss the merits of each with you.
- COLOR. While you may not think the color of a roof matters, since it is often not visible from the ground level, there are reasons to be choosy about the shade of your shingles. Light colored roofing will reflect light, helping to keep your home cooler; while darker shingles absorb heat and may help to melt snowpack. The options available a much broader than in the past – we can show you a whole range of tones, patterns and dimensional shingles.
- DURABILITY. How long will your new roof last? It depends on many factors, including the material you choose, the shape and size of the roof, weather conditions and how well you maintain the roof. Shingle and metal roofs can last 50 years or more, while asphalt shingles are available that can last anywhere from 15 to 40 years. It all gets down to your personal preferences and budget considerations.
- WARRANTY. Every roofing manufacturer offers warranties against manufacturing defects, usually lasting anywhere from 10 to 50 years. But be forewarned! If the roofing contractor you choose to work with has not been certified by the manufacturer, any warranty may be voided. Hi Tech Windows & Siding is fully certified by the roofing manufacturers whose products we install, and we also offer our own workmanship guarantee.
When you are ready to replace your home’s roof, please call Hi-Tech at (800) 851-0900. We’d be glad to provide a free roof inspection and project estimate.